.sidebar .widget {border-bottom: 1px solid #000000;}

Enhancing Photos

I really love this photo of my son Mikey, but I hated the background (the original had power lines - I forgot to save a copy of the original [my bad])

Even after I removed the power lines, the sky is completely white, and the billboard is distracting. The image of Mikey also needs some sharpening and a blast of contrast.

The final version has
1 - a sky inserted into the background,
2 - the billboard removed, some of the trees replaced, (stamp tool)
3 - sharpening (Filter / Sharpening / Unsharp Mask)
4 - Auto Contrast (under the Image menu)
5 - This softening trick:
After merging all the layers, I copied that layer and applied a Gaussian blur of about 20 pixels, then changed the layer state to overlay. After that, just to take the saturation down a notch, I created a Hue/Saturation layer, and applied a Hue of +3 and lowered the Saturation to -3.
Here's the final version:

I also took out the other player. I haven't decided if I'm going to leave the sign in or not. What do you think? Reply with your opinion and get extra credit--but you have to tell my why I should or should not leave it in.

3 comments :

  1. Take the sign out. Because it is in the middle of a chunk of green, it really pops out. It distracts from Mikey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should leave the fence in because it makes the field look more like a baseball field other wise it would just look like a fence

    -monique

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12.4.10

    I think you should leave the sign on because it makes the picture more authentic.

    -Kate Riedel 6th

    ReplyDelete